To obtain a New Jersey identification card (NJ ID), also known as a non-driver identification card, individuals must meet certain requirements and provide specific documentation. The basic requirements for obtaining a New Jersey Ids card are as follows:
- Eligibility: To be eligible for a New Jersey ID card, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of New Jersey.
- Not hold a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Age: There is no specific age requirement to obtain a New Jersey ID card. Individuals of all ages, including children and adults, are eligible.
- Proof of Identity: You must provide proof of your identity. This typically involves presenting documents that establish your full legal name, date of birth, and citizenship or legal presence in the United States. Acceptable documents may include:
- U.S. birth certificate or valid U.S. passport for U.S. citizens.
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or other immigration documents for non-U.S. citizens.
- Social Security card or W-2 form to verify your Social Security number (SSN).
- Proof of New Jersey Residency: You must provide documentation to prove your New Jersey residency. This can include:
- Utility bills (e.g., electric, gas, water).
- Lease or rental agreement.
- Bank statement or financial institution records.
- Property tax bill or receipt.
- Payment of Fees: There is a fee associated with obtaining a New Jersey ID card. The fee amount may vary depending on factors such as your age and the length of validity you choose for your ID card.
- Proof of Legal Name Change: If your legal name has changed due to marriage, divorce, or another reason, you must provide documents (e.g., marriage certificate, court order) to support the name change.
- Proof of Social Security Number: You must provide evidence of your Social Security number, which can be done by presenting your Social Security card or other official documentation that displays your full SSN.
- Application Form: Complete the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Application for Non-Driver ID (Form BA-207). This form is available on the MVC website or at MVC agencies.
- Visit an MVC Agency: Visit a local New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) agency in person to apply for the ID card. You will need to submit your documentation, fill out the application form, and have your photo taken.
- Photo: A photograph will be taken at the MVC agency for your NJ ID card.
It’s important to verify the most up-to-date requirements and documentation with the New Jersey MVC, as requirements may change over time. Additionally, be prepared to provide any additional documentation or information requested by the MVC during the application process. Once issued, the New Jersey ID card can serve as an official form of identification for various purposes, such as proving identity and age, opening bank accounts, and more.
For more information visit IDPAPA