The polyglycolic acid suture is a synthetic, sterile, and absorbable suture which was introduced in the 1970s. A PGA is less reactive and better in resisting infection from contaminating bacteria when compared with other chromic catgut. polyglycolic acid suture comes in a violet color. Polygactin 910 is also known as vicyrl. These sutures are absorbable soft tissue sutures.It is formed from a lengthy chain of monomers, it is more popular and beneficial than natural sutures.
There are so many manufacturers of Polyglycolic acid sutures but you need to do research on which one suits your requirements. These Polyglycolic acid sutures are a better option in operations where repeated surgical exposure is required.
What are the benefits of polyglycolic acid sutures?
- Absorbable: Polyglycolic acid suture is absorbable in the body when left for a longer period of time. It is not required to remove it after implementing it in the body which reduces the chance of infection and offers faster healing. It rarely causes any reaction which makes it a suitable choice for various patients.
- Wound support: Polyglycolic acid sutures helps in healing critical situation and effectively support tissue. Effective wound support helps in reducing the chances of infection due to their ability to absorb fast and other post operation issues.
- Biodegradable: Polyglycolic sutures are biodegradable as they gradually break down into the body. This is done by the process where water breaks the polymer bonds which is known as hydrolysis. Later this can be eliminated from the body through the metabolic process.
- Tensile strength: Tensile strength is necessary for the closure of wounds. Tensile strength is the ability of the material to pull force. Polyglycolic acid provides a secure closure of the wound so that the wound can be healed easily and minimizes the risk of separation of the edges of the wound.
- Reduce the risk of infection: PGA sutures help in reducing the risk of infection while another type of sutures may cause breeding for bacteria.
Get to know about Baroda Tabit and how it enhance mobile banking.
Applications of Polyglycolic acid:
- Polyglycolic sutures are used in general surgery. Its ability to absorb rapidly helps in this case. It helps in smoothing the tissue.
- This suture is used in urology such as bladder repair for secure closure. The speedy absorption quality helps in stopping the formation of stone which may occur with another type of sutures.
- PGA sutures help in skin closure and in cosmetic surgeries. Its minimal reactivity of tissue helps in cosmetic surgeries.
- PGA sutures are also used in obstetrics and Gynecology for suturing the uterus. The feature of not removing sutures helps in patient comfort and eliminates the requirement of suture removal.
Polyglycolic suture promotes high-quality item which is ideal for various uses in many types of surgery. Its several benefits make it an optimal choice for professionals to use in the medical field. Its versatility makes it used in various ranges of surgeries.