A personal statement is one of the crucial write-ups you will encounter while getting admission to universities. It is the base on which you will be judged and given admission. Thus, achieving this becomes the top priority. But it comes with a lot of challenges and specifications. However, hiring an expert from a professional personal statement writing service can reduce the load. But if you want to do it yourself, this article will guide you. So, begin with having an insight into it.
What Is a Personal Statement and Its Purpose?
A personal statement is also termed as a college essay drafted to secure admission to the university you wish to enrol in. It is a brief description that you will submit with other documents while applying to an institution. These are more common for undergraduate programs, which gives you an opportunity to showcase yourself directly to the committee members. So, a personal statement is a brief that uncovers something important about you. It talks about your background, interests, values, and more. Thus, the purpose behind drafting this essay is to:
- Share something that is not there in your resume.
- Includes what are your beliefs and interest areas.
- Displays the reasons you chose a specific field.
- Briefs about your future plans and aims.
It is an insight into a personal statement. Moving ahead, let’s equip you with the process you must adhere to while working on this piece of writing.
How to Write a Personal Statement
To draft an ideal personal statement, there are several pointers that you need to consider. Thus, in this section, you will perceive them briefly to ease the writing procedure.
Write a Draft Without Making It Perfect
It is the most crucial thing you need to consider: while writing the first draft, you do not have to focus on making it perfect. It is so because, when you are writing, you are pouring your thoughts into the paper, so if you focus on making it apt, you will lose your flow. Thus, the suggestion is that you must write first and edit next.
Find the Apt Vocab to Describe Yourself
Although a personal statement describes you as a person, but this does not allow you to use an informal tone while drafting. It means you must use the appropriate formal tone in the entire write-up. Doing this will also help you to represent your writing skills to the members and give them a solid pointer to select you. Thus, stick to the professional tone while working on it.
Focus on the Strengths in the Beginning
Similar to an advertisement presenting a product to be the best one, a personal statement works with the same motive. In this, you have to showcase yourself in a way that convinces the committee members that you are the perfect fit. To do this, you need to focus on your strengths and the capabilities. Moreover, you can also include the things you are willing to work on.
Include an Ideal Opening Sentence
The opening must be perfect and should attract attention. It is the basis that every document works with, as it will help the reader to make the perception about what they are reading. It is also called the hook of the essay that persuades the audience to stick to the end of the write-up. To do this, you can include a quote, humour, surprising element, etc.
Use Your Personal Writing Style
Many times, students try to copy others’ styles and end up losing the authenticity of the document. Therefore, it is suggested that you should not read and take references from the other documents. This way, you can draft unique content that reflects your personality and solves the purpose behind writing a personal statement.
Be Honest and Do Not Make Things
While working on a personal statement, you do not have to add anything you are not. It means avoid adding the skills you do not have to make an impression. It is so because, if in the interview you have been asked to demonstrate it and you cannot do it, you might lose the entire impression. Moreover, to make the path smoother, you can seek essay help UK from the experts.
These are a few pointers that you must follow while drafting a personal statement. Moreover, there are several other things that you must consider in the process, which are listed in the following section.
Do’s and Don’ts of Personal Statement Writing
There are some points that can make or break your entire document. Thus, to ensure an ideal piece, follow these do’s and don’ts:
- Adhere to the guidelines or the requirements that a particular institution needs from the piece. It will enable you to serve the purpose and make the document impressive.
- Tell a story to make the content flow in a particular manner. To do this, add the events one after the other, showcasing your strengths and abilities.
- Be concise and write straight to the point. It will help you to stick to the central theme and help the readers understand it well.
- Add a personal touch to the statement you are writing, as it is the primary purpose behind creating it. To do this, use your writing style, tone and perspectives.
- Do not state the points in your resume, as the aim of drafting this is to know more than what is in the resume.
- Do not include your weaknesses in the personal statement, as it must only reflect your positive side.
- Do not be dramatic while drafting it to ensure it looks professional and authentic.
- Do not include anything just to make an impression, as it will leave a negative impact on the committee members.
It is all about personal statements that you must consider while working on it. This write-up has covered every detail that you must know beforehand. It includes the process and the nitty-gritty that will help you to ace the write-up. Moreover, if you need more than that, you can seek help from professional personal statement writing service providers.