You should understand your homeowner’s insurance properly to know what type of damage is covered under it.
If you are looking for a trusted roofing company in Milpitas, then you should contact Glover Roofing in Milpitas. Now, let us understand how to file a roofing insurance claim.
What kind of roof damage is covered by insurance?
The type of roof damage caused by wind, hail storms, fire, lightning, smoke, weight exerted by deposition of snow on your roof, falling objects like tree branches, and vandalism are covered by insurance.
What kind of roof damage might not be covered?
The damage caused by general wear and tear due to the roof’s age, gradual damage from lack of roof maintenance, earthquake, flooding, and potential wind or hail exclusions in tornado and hurricane-prone states are not covered by insurance.
Homeowners insurance covers some of the most common and costly types of roof damage, including wind and hailstorms.
Your insurance company will reimburse the repair costs if your roof is damaged by wind or hail during a tornado, hurricane, or any other extreme weather event.
How to file a roofing insurance claim
Understand the actual cash value and replacement cost of roof coverage
The amount you’re reimbursed for roof damage will vary largely on whether you have actual cash value or replacement cost coverage.
- Actual cash value is the actual value of a roof replacement minus depreciation. Hence, your insurer will consider things like your roof’s age and lifespan when calculating your payout.
- Replacement cost is the cost of replacing your roof at today’s prices. If your roof is badly damaged, then your insurer will reimburse the total replacement cost without subtracting depreciation from the payout.
Inspect your roof after for potential wind or hail damage
You should schedule a roof inspection after you face heavy rainfall or hail storms in your area. If you do not know how to inspect a roof then hire a professional roofer to get your job done.
You need to check the entire exterior of your home including the roof, siding, windows, and doors as well as indoor areas to inspect if they are impacted by hail storms.
You should take photos of the damaged items and document the losses properly so that you can claim insurance for the same later.
The damage to be documented includes:
- The cracked walls are damaged by water or the torn-off siding.
- Check for cracked glass or doors.
- Inspect your roof gutters, shingles, or tiles that might have been displaced by the storm.
- Take photos of a compromised gas line or an exploded transformer.
- Check all the outlets and electrical fixtures to find out whether they are damaged by water.
- Document the broken appliances.
- Check the basement, crawlspaces, and foundation to detect the damage caused after you face hail storms.
Contact Your Insurance Company:
You should contact your insurance company so that they can verify the damage and provide you with financial compensation for the same. In this context, you need to document the damage properly so that you can claim the desired amount.
You must take care of these things when you call your insurance company:
- Your policy number
- The cause of the damage
- Details and proof of the damage
Protect your house from further damage
Most standard home insurance policies will insist you take steps to prevent further damage after a loss. You should put tarps over your roof, cover broken windows with plywood, and cover up any other openings in your home that might lead to additional damage.
Get a roof replacement estimate from a trusted contractor
A claims adjuster from your insurance company will visit your house to verify that the damage is covered and estimate your settlement amount.
The adjusters will make the best of your insurance policy during the claim settlement process.
You cannot stop natural calamities like hail storms and heavy rains. However, you can protect your house by restoring it from storm and water damage.
If you are confused about how to do restoration of your property after a natural disaster, then you should hire a professional damage restoration service in your location.