Mobile gaming has seen a meteoric rise in popularity over the past few years, and among the myriad of games available, “Gardenscapes” has emerged as a notable contender. This match-3 puzzle game, developed by Playrix, allows players to embark on a journey of restoring a neglected garden to its former glory. In this comprehensive review, we will delve into the pros and cons of Gardenscapes, provide detailed insights into how to play the game, and explore the top five alternatives to this popular mobile game.
Part 1: Gardenscapes – Pros and Cons
Pros of Gardenscapes:
- Engaging Gameplay: Gardenscapes offers a fun and engaging match-3 puzzle experience. Players must match similar elements to complete levels, earn stars, and progress through the story.
- Beautiful Graphics: The game boasts stunning visuals, with vibrant colors and detailed graphics that make the garden restoration process visually appealing.
- Storyline: Gardenscapes features an intriguing storyline, with players taking on the role of Austin, a butler, in his quest to renovate the garden. The narrative unfolds gradually, keeping players invested in the game’s progression.
- Garden Customization: One of the standout features is the ability to customize and design the garden according to your preferences. You can choose from various decorations, plants, and structures.
- Challenging Levels: The game’s levels become progressively more challenging, keeping players engaged as they work their way through the game.
- Social Interaction: Gardenscapes allows you to connect the game to your Facebook account, which enables you to interact with friends, visit their gardens, and send each other lives and gifts.
- Frequent Updates: Playrix regularly updates Gardenscapes with new levels, events, and features, ensuring that players have fresh content to enjoy.
- No Time Limits: Unlike some other match-3 games, Gardenscapes doesn’t impose time limits on individual levels. This makes it a more relaxed and less stressful gaming experience.
Also read – 10 Best Card Games For Car Road Trips
Cons of Gardenscapes:
- In-App Purchases: While Gardenscapes is free to play, it heavily encourages in-app purchases. To progress at a faster pace or access certain features, players may need to spend real money.
- Energy System: The game employs an energy system, limiting the number of attempts you can make in a day. When you run out of energy, you either have to wait for it to recharge or purchase more with in-game currency or real money.
- Frustration with Levels: Some players may find certain levels difficult and frustrating, particularly as they progress further into the game. This can lead to a pay-to-win perception, as players may choose to spend money to overcome challenging levels.
- Limited Customization: While the garden customization aspect is a pro, it’s somewhat limited in comparison to dedicated simulation games. You can’t design every aspect of your garden, which might disappoint players looking for more in-depth customization.
- Progression Slowness: Gardenscapes’ progression can feel slow for players who don’t want to make in-app purchases. This can lead to a sense of grind as players wait for energy to replenish.
- Pop-Up Ads: The game occasionally bombards players with pop-up ads, encouraging them to make in-game purchases. This can be annoying for some users.
Part 2: How to Play Gardenscapes
Gardenscapes is relatively straightforward to play, but understanding the mechanics can help you progress efficiently. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to play the game:
- Match-3 Puzzle Mechanics: The core gameplay of Gardenscapes involves solving match-3 puzzles. To complete a level, you need to achieve specific goals, such as collecting a certain number of pieces, removing specific obstacles, or reaching a target score. You do this by matching at least three identical elements, whether they are fruits, flowers, or other garden-themed items. Simply swipe your finger to swap adjacent elements and create matches.
- Completing Goals: Each level has a set of goals displayed at the top of the screen. You need to complete these goals within a limited number of moves. For example, you might need to collect a certain number of apples or clear a path for water to reach the garden.
- Special Elements: As you progress, you’ll encounter special elements like power-ups and obstacles. Match four or more elements to create power-ups that can clear rows, columns, or a group of items. Some levels include obstacles like weeds, frozen tiles, or boxes that require special strategies to overcome.
- Stars and Currency: Your performance in each level is rated by the number of stars you earn. Collecting more stars allows you to progress through the game. Stars are also used to complete tasks in the garden, such as planting new flowers or installing decorations. Additionally, you earn in-game currency, which can be used for various purposes, including garden customization.
- Garden Restoration: The main objective of Gardenscapes is to restore the garden to its former glory. You can use the stars you earn to complete tasks like cleaning the pond, fixing the treehouse, or planting new flowers. The more tasks you complete, the more beautiful your garden becomes.
- Energy and Lives: The game employs an energy system. You have a limited amount of energy that replenishes over time. Each attempt at a level consumes one unit of energy. If you run out of energy, you can either wait for it to recharge or purchase more using in-game currency or real money. You also have a limited number of lives. Running out of lives means you can’t attempt new levels until your lives replenish.
- Social Features: Gardenscapes allows you to connect the game to your Facebook account. This enables you to interact with friends, visit their gardens, and receive lives and gifts from them.
- In-App Purchases: The game offers a variety of in-app purchases, such as booster packs, additional lives, and in-game currency. While these purchases can help you progress faster, they are entirely optional.
Part 3: Top 5 Alternatives to Gardenscapes
If you’ve enjoyed Gardenscapes but are looking for something new or different, there are several alternatives available in the mobile gaming world. Here are the top 5 alternatives to Gardenscapes:
- Developed by the same team at Playrix, Homescapes offers a similar gameplay style but with a focus on renovating a mansion. Players complete match-3 puzzles to earn stars and decorate rooms in the house. The game features a compelling storyline and charming characters.
- Township combines city-building and farming simulation with match-3 puzzle elements. In addition to solving puzzles, you manage your own town, grow crops, raise animals, and trade with other players. It offers a unique blend of gameplay styles.
- Matchington Mansion:
- This game is a combination of match-3 puzzles and home renovation. Players complete puzzles to earn stars and use them to restore and decorate a mansion. The story revolves around uncovering hidden secrets in the mansion.
- My Home – Design Dreams:
- My Home is a design and decorating game that incorporates match-3 puzzles. Players are tasked with renovating and designing various living spaces. The game offers a vast selection of furniture and customization options, making it a great choice for creative minds.
- Gardenscapes (PC Version):
- If you love Gardenscapes but want a different platform, consider trying the PC version. Playrix released a PC adaptation of Gardenscapes, which offers the same match-3 puzzle mechanics and garden restoration, but with the convenience of a mouse and keyboard.
In summary, Gardenscapes is a popular mobile game that offers engaging gameplay, beautiful graphics, and a compelling storyline. Players can enjoy restoring a neglected garden and customizing it according to their preferences. However, the game has its drawbacks, including in-app purchases, an energy system, and occasional frustration with difficult levels. To succeed in Gardenscapes, you’ll need to strategize and make the most of power-ups.
If you’re seeking alternatives, games like Homescapes, Township, Matchington Mansion, My Home – Design Dreams, and the PC version of Gardenscapes offer similar gameplay experiences with their unique twists. Ultimately, the choice between these games depends on your personal preferences and what aspects of the gameplay appeal to you the most.
Gardenscapes remains a beloved choice for fans of match-3 puzzle and simulation games, and its frequent updates and social features continue to draw players into its charming garden restoration world.